Saturday, June 21, 2008

Serenity

So I was talking with a friend recently, and we agreed that there are two 'tools' that we learn in 'recovery' that cover just about all of the obstacles that we encounter....

one of them is the Serenity Prayer.

that 'prayer' word was a huge stumbling block for me for a long time....so I didn't PRAY it.....I just thought that the PHILOSOPHY was ingenius....

when something happens...that is upsetting, or difficult or painful...

Can I do anything about the situation?

If so.....do it.

If not......acknowledge that fact....and try not to let it ruin my day.

when I have a situation that i have NO CONTROL over...it is simply going to happen....it IS THIS WAY

then...

whether or not I am upset about it.....only means...that I am a wreck inside

or I am not.

that's it.

the situation is still whatever it is.

It's about acceptance.

that doesn't mean that I have to accept everything HAPPILY....or that I will never GRIEVE...

It simply means...that...when I have no control over circumstances....I will limit my negative reaction to it...to the best of my ability.


lol - to the best of my ability.


I get better with practice.


I went from being a nervous wreck all of the time....to now....pissing my husband off on a regular basis...when *HE* gets all worked up about something that is out of his hands.....

I mean....if we are running late, for instance, for any particular function....once we are late..WE ARE LATE... freaking out about it isn't gonna get us there any sooner!


This isn't about 'recovery'...this is about being HUMAN!!!

My kids....I could take a lesson from them...

I remember driving them to school one morning...and my son had a big test...I asked if he had studied...'No' he replied.

NO?

NO????

and he sat there...calmly...this 12 year old...

while I was freaking out.

'I can't believe you don't CARE about this....you're not even UPSET!'

he said...calmly...'I DO care mom...but I forgot to study. I wish I had, but it's too late now....there's nothing I can do about it....getting upset isn't gonna get me a good grade'.

I was furious.

*HE* just didn't 'get' it. ha ha


* * * * * * * *

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference.

No comments: