Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Results

I stepped on the scale yesterday and got sort of excited...I've lost ten pounds.

I don't really have that much to lose....the weight that I put on when I was pregnant...but I haven't had the will to really do it...until now.

anyway....I was thinking about that....about how similar this stopping gambling thing is to dieting.

I mean...if I eat a donut...it isn't gonna kill me.
It doesn't even mean that I won't lose any more weight.

so if I can eat a donut....then return to 'controlled' eating....I'll be fine.

Plus....if I DON'T eat a donut...I'm not gonna have some fantastic instant result....and if there is any result at all...it's so miniscule that I'm unaware.

so...if eating a donut isn't gonna be TERRIBLE....and if NOT eating it isn't gonna be wonderful...why not?

and the answer of course....is because....a donut now....and a piece of halloween candy later....and...well..you get the picture.

If I rationalize eating a donut....

status quo

that's it...I'll just keep maintaing what 'is'.

and what 'is' (these couple of pounds i still want to lose) just isn't OK with me any more.

to a much greater degree...it's just like stopping gambling.

there are no instant results....but....continuously making the right call....doing the next right thing...adds up...until...one day....you 'step on the scale' and realize just how much you have accomplished.

No comments: