Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Summing up a life...

today is a better day...not that yesterday was bad really...just a little overwhelmed and disappointed (in myself).

answering an email to a friend this morning...talking about how....we (or...more accurately *I*) find things that work for me....then...for some reason...slowly move away from them.

well....i know what works....i just need to re-commit to doing those things.

i do understand my childrens' frustrations tho...things that are just natural for other people...take so much EFFORT for me.

anyway...it really is about finding things that work for me...tools for living.

well

i attended a funeral yesterday.
a friend's mom passed away unexpectedly.

tough stuff.
she was only 69.

the older i get, the younger that seems.

i didn't know her that well....but her obituary was impressive....as was my husband's uncle who recently passed away....he too, had accomplished many things that I was completely unaware of.

it occurs to me that there are many people in my life..that I know..that I don't REALLY know....

every one of us has a story......
I'm even wondering about my OWN story.....to sum up one's life in a few paragraphs.....this is who i was...this is what i did.....

you know...my mom led an amazing life....but her obit didn't reflect that...it sort of said...when she was born, when she died, where she lived and listed all of her loved ones.

she didn't have awards to mention...she wasn't the president of organizations.... but she quietly went about touching lives....she raised so many children....we took foster children into our home....she had a personal one-on-one relationship with everyone who was a part of her life....she was one of the most amazing people I have ever known.

maybe....when i read a death notice...I should wonder what is NOT being said there.

maybe...I should take more time to know those things while people are still around...maybe i should find out about people by them sharing their stories with me out loud.....not in the newspaper after they're gone.

No comments: