Friday, October 3, 2008

on Being Imperfect

more on the book...'The SPirituality of Imperfection".

The introduction opens with this quote:

"Baseball teaches us, or has taught most of us, how to deal with failure. We learn at a very young age that failure is the norm in baseball and, precisely because we have failed, we hold in high regard those who fail less often- those who hit safely in one out of three chances and become star players. I also find it fascinting that baseball, alone in sport, considers errors to be part of the game, part of it's rigorous truth." -- Francis T. Vincent Jr, Commissioner of Baseball.

the book goes on to say that:

The spirituality of imperfection begins with the recognition that trying to be perfect is the most tragic human mistake.

Yes....I see.

I understand.

I *do* think I should be 'perfect' and I also know that I will never be.

At the same time....it's important for me to be careful to not simply DISMISS my faults as 'oh well...I'm only human...this is just the way I am'.

yeah...I AM only human....and I will always have faults....I cannot be perfect so striving for perfection is futile.

but

i can be better.

I cannot be perfect...but I can always be 'better'.

No comments: