Thursday, April 10, 2008

H.A.L.T.

Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

In 12 step programs…they say this can be a trigger…being hungry, angry, lonely or tired.

I didn’t ever feel that it was true for me…except for maybe lonely…but

I worked late a few nights ago…ended up with only a few hours sleep…and the next day…I was…hmmm

I didn’t want to gamble….but my HEAD…it was…it was sort of LIKE the way I was back then…my thoughts were racing…I sort of was hmmm shaky? And RESTLESS…almost anxious.

I didn’t feel ‘triggered’.

I don’t know that being hungry, angry, lonely or tired really *IS* a trigger for me.

But…

I remember hearing, a long time ago…that…one is more readily able to recall information when one is in the same frame of mind as he was when he learned it.

In other words…if I learned the words to a song after having consumed a few drinks…I would be more likely to recall those words at a later date, after having a few drinks…than if I were sober.

I don’t know if that’s true…I’m not even sure where I heard it….but… I would think that…I would be much more likely to gamble…if I were triggered (by SOMETHING) and I was in THAT (tired) condition…..than…if something ‘triggered’ me….while at peace.

No comments: