Friday, April 25, 2008

Recovery is Amazing

He woke me at 2 am.

Said he had a headache.

I gave him two Tylenol and he went back to bed.

He woke up starving…I cooked him a big breakfast.

Then…. he didn’t want to go to school. Said he felt sick.

He’s failing French class and there’s only a few weeks left to school. He cannot afford to miss.

Plus….he and his father and I have an appointment with his guidance counselor today….he needs to be there.

Plus…he has feigned ill before.

I made him get dressed.

He got sick in the car.

Several times.

And THIS…is where recovery is amazing.

My morning….from this point forward….it could’ve gone…it’ could’ve gone really badly.

I clearly recall the day that I decided I would not have children…and I stuck by that decision for nearly twenty years…I did NOT want kiddos.

I was six.

I was sick…lying in bed…watching my mother clean up my vomit. I would never do it…no how, no way….not me.

And here I am…on the interstate…no way to pull over…he is throwing up….new car…leather seats….and I am saying…

“it’s ok baby…it’s ok….I’m so sorry…it’s ok”

I was sorry…that we were in the car…that he wasn’t at home…in his bed.

LOL

He was FURIOUS at me…that he wasn’t at home…in his bed.

Another opportunity for things to go badly….

We turn around…to go home….

He gets sick again.

“it’s ok baby”

We walk into the house…

He gets sick again.

It is all over the car.
It is all over the hallway.
It is all over him.

I don’t even know where to begin….

But I did it…

Took care of him…
Took care of the car…
Took care of the hallway.

Delivered the car…to be detailed – and thankful I could afford to do that…it’s important.

I was able…today….to take care of the things that were important….Number one..being my CHILD.

And…not only was I able to remain calm…and OK..all morning.

I don’t feel guilty.

I didn’t beat myself up..for not believing he was really sick….or…for making him go to school anyway.

This wasn’t about me.

This day isn’t about me at all.

It’s about him.

And I’m here…for him.

All is well.

And all is well.

And all that is....

Is well.

No comments: