Sunday, April 6, 2008

Which path?

If there are many paths…how do I know what to do?

That was very confusing to me in the beginning.
All I knew was that *I* knew NOTHING.
EVERYONE else seemed to know more than I did…about addiction, about recovery…and I was hungry for knowledge…I needed to know…how to be OK…for the LONG term this time.

I listened to everyone…kept an open mind…asked lots of questions….made my own opinions…..then sometimes changed them LOL….

I’m STILL making my own opinions..and still changing them frequently also!

But…after a while…I realized…that some of those people…had some things I really WANTED…..NEEDED even…..

Peace.
I was so full of anxiety…I was uptight even when I thought I was relaxing!

And Honor….
No gossip….or repeating a confidence.

Clarity of Thought…
The ability to slow down..and analyze a situation…my mind was always racing and ping ponging around…it was difficult for me to make a decision…or calm myself down..or ANYTHING really…without someone else..to talk me thru it.

I was a wreck.

I began to gravitate toward those people, in recovery, who had things I wanted….I listened to them….and slowly…I began learning that..the way that I had been living was not only not the ONLY way…it wasn’t the BEST way either.

There are so many aspects of this ‘recovery’ thing…. It’s about developing new coping skills…learning to relax…to just BE….to be PRESENT..and AWARE..to find Joy..and Dignity…to learn to forgive and to Love other people….and to forgive and Love ourselves.

And so much more than that.

It’s too difficult to do alone.
Keep an open mind...and look at everything..ANTHING that may be of help to you....
Find people…who have what you want
Find them wherever you can…online, in meetings, in books…but FIND them…
And learn what they do…
And do whatever it is that YOU must do…to live the life that you desire.

No comments: