Monday, August 4, 2008

Relationships

This weekend I threw away the plant that's been on my front porch for a while.

I should've thrown it away before now.

And it got me thinking....

Most addicts do not have healthy relationships.

Maybe most HUMANS do not?

In recovery, they suggest (for those that are single)...

in the first year, get a plant.

if after a year, the plant is still alive,

get a pet,

if after a year, the pet is still alive,

THEN....you might consider a relationship.


I'm glad I'm already married.

I've thrown away three dead plants in the past few weeks.

Come to think of it, I don't OWN a living (indoor) plant.

I kill them all.

It occurs to me that....while my relationships in my IMMEDIATE family have flourished....just about every other relationship that I have is neglected to some degree or another.

I know, I know...baby steps...I can't fix everything at once.

I know.

But...if I just sit around saying...I need to do this and I need to do that...and I don't DO any of it....what good is that?

And I know....that I don't do things unless:

-I am under a great deal of pressure to do them
-I have made a list...and that 'thing' is on it.


Goal setting.
short term, long term....written down....

k- I'll start tomorrow :)

No comments: