Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Anger/Resentments

I had an epiphany today.

Thinking about emotions…thinking about anger....thinking about step 4.

Step 4 is - Made a searching and fearless moral and financial inventory of ourselves.

I wrote about Step 4 previously here.

I have had two powerful experiences due to working this step….which is about getting down to the causes and conditions of our resentments.

I was thinking today…about the anger that I felt this weekend…and how now, it is gone.

I was thinking about a friend who hurt me a while back…I was very angry…but this person made amends…and the anger is gone.

And it hit me....Step 4 is not about anger.

It is about RESENTMENTS (well…that’s one part of it)….ANGER is an emotion… a RESENTMENT is when we are unable to let go of the anger.

have discovered that when I THINK I just don’t like someone…there is always a reason…a cause….discovering this reason….in the past, has revealed things to me about myself, and have allowed me to let the resentment go…or….has ‘lifted’ the resentment … I didn’t have to try to let it go…it just…went.

So anger is ok then…it is a feeling…feelings aren’t good or bad..they are just mine.

Stuffing feelings is bad….stuffing anger leads to resentments…

Gambler’s Anonymous says this is an emotional illness.

It’s hard to believe I’ve lived this long and understand so little about my emotions….I have ignored them for so long.

No comments: