Monday, January 21, 2008

Cross-Addiction

This subject has come up a few times in conversations I’ve had over the past few days.

Some people enter recovery with multiple addictions…many people develop new addictions while abstaining from their primary addiction.

When I gamble..physical things occur…

But

My problem…is not gambling….PHYSICALLY…my problem, is now addiction.

Once we become an addict we are very sensitive (perhaps we always were) to other substances and activities that stimulate the brain in similar ways…to the brain…a drug is a drug is a drug

There are many people in g.a. meetings who are also members of a.a., n.a. or other _.a. groups.

I know that MY alcohol consumption has changed since I have been in recovery.

In years past I didn’t drink very often…but…when I did..I was on a mission…I was going to have a BLAST…I was going to get drunk and I knew it…

As I said…I didn’t do it very often…and I never had CRAVINGS for alcohol…but I HAVE had episodes where I don’t really recall what happened….I have been known to over-do it.

So….hearing about cross-addictions was important to my recovery….I knew that I was in danger…I don’t think I’ve crossed a line with alcohol just yet…but….if I am not careful.

I still drink….but I limit my consumption…and I have stopped smoking as well….I also think that I could easily fall into trouble with prescription drugs if I am not careful…..so I am careful….

I want the addict in me…

To lie dormant…

Or even…to die.

**********************************************************************************

It is easy to be wise after the event. - English Proverb

No comments: