Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Letter from a friend...December 2007 (snippet)

*posted here with permission of my friend

It really isn't about anyone else - what they think, what they do, what they believe.

It's about me.
It really is my choice.

It really is.

My family are getting on with their lives.

My friends are getting on with their lives.

The people on the forum are getting on with their lives.

I was told once about letting the past rob our future that's what I'm doing isn't it?

I just want my life back - the one I was born with.

* * * * * * my reply * * * * * * * *

yes....it really is about you.

and YOU are the only one who can do this for you.

You are right.

You CAN change this, you CAN get your life back, you CAN be happy...and most importantly...it IS in your hands.

It is very difficult to do alone because it IS mind stuff....

If physical changes are taking place in the brain...and they are....well...what bodily functions does the brain control? Our thoughts and our feelings.

It stands to reason that...while we're in the cycle..and our brain chemistry is altered, those functions (thinking and feeling) are altered. I know mine were.

The key to getting 'clean', IMHO, is to somehow get our brain chemistry back to whatever is 'normal' for us...and KEEP it there.

Many things seem to be able to alter our brain chemistry...things that we ingest (drugs, alcohol, cigarettes), activities (gambling, exercise, sex), as well as thoughts and feelings...

the PROBLEM, as I see it...with trying to do this alone is....it's too difficult to change our thinking...unless we are spending time with others who UNDERSTAND that 'skewed thinking' process....and can help us to change our thinking...to one that is more 'normal'.

I didn't think I could do this. I didn't really WANT to stop gambling...you know how it is...i DID want to stop..but i DIDn't.

Your life awaits you...I promise.

No comments: