Saturday, March 8, 2008

This moment is all there is

The past…does it exist?
Well it DID.
It happened….

but now?

Right now….when I think about the past….what is it?
A story.

That is all the past is…it is NOT my life…it is a STORY…or a series of stories about some events that once occurred.

They are not occurring now.
It is done.

Stories.

You know…I’ve always been high-strung….and my life has always been full of DRAMA…

There was a time..when things would happen….the drama…when my heart would begin to race, I would become anxious and upset…and then…one day…it occurred to me….that…even though what I was experiencing wasn’t necessarily FUN…I didn’t WANT to go thru it….it wasn’t THAT bad…
AND
It was going to be a story.

I’d get thru it….it would end…and I would be left with a funny story…laughter.

It can’t be THAT bad if you might look back one day and laugh :)

That has helped me to get thru many difficult times….knowing that….’it’s ok….I’m making a story...one day I will tell this story and laugh’.

Now that I’m doing all of this ‘recovery stuff’ I can see how wise that is…once an event is in the past…that is ALL it is… a story.

Not all of our stories are funny….

there are many things that have happened to me that I cannot now…and likely will never be able to laugh about….

I have some sad stories too.

Some are gut-wrenching.

But still….they are NOT things that are happening now.
This minute…I am good.

Those stories…aren’t real (anymore)……right now…today…they are simply stories….and they only have power over me…if I allow them to.

No comments: