Friday, March 7, 2008

Through a Child's Eyes

It takes more than just being openminded…it takes a sense of WONDER.

I was having such a hard time with the higher power thing….prayer would make me cringe. It still does sometimes…verbal prayers do.

I had such fixed ideas on religion..on EVERYTHING….my world was black and white and consisted of what I could SEE or FEEL and knew to be so….

And

Of things that could be proven…I mean..I can’t SEE a sound wave…but science has shown them to be there…I believe in sound waves..sure….radio waves, light waves..ok…I get that..all sorts of ‘things’ bouncing around in my ‘space’ that I am unaware of….ok.

But

I remember attending a bible study (searching) – and a man was there who had cancer…before we left they asked everyone to place their hands on him and they prayed.

Pretty freaky I thought.

Or….people who do things…believe that pyramids or crystals hold some ‘magical’ energy or power force. Uh huh. Right.

But then….

I remember hearing, as a child…that if you play soft sweet music for a plant..it will grow beautifully….and TALKING sweetly…same thing….but saying mean, hateful things would cause it to shrivel..and die.

And THEN…I remember hearing that..you don’t even have to TALK to a plant to make this happen..that simply by THINKING happy thoughts…or mean thoughts….you could affect the health of the plant.

an energy thing?

I hadn’t thought about that in years.

ANYWAY….

So I am searching….a quest..for truth….what is there? Who am I?

It’s a difficult thing to do when one is not open to new ideas…which I wasn’t.

So I thought….either…I know everything there is to know about everything (which, even in my arrogance, I knew was not the case) OR some of the things that I believe to be true….are incorrect.

I decided to try, to the best of my ability, to approach things…EVERYTHING…as if I were from another planet….I know nothing….I have never seen grass before…or a sunrise…or a SUN for that matter….everything is fresh and new….can you imagine?

The sun? what is it? Fire? No kidding…it IS pretty amazing when you stop to think of it…a big ball of fire just floating in the air…and it comes and goes…and when it is here..it lights up the entire planet…. … which is NOT FLAT?

There really is wonder everywhere around me…much of it…I know is fact and don’t really think about it being wondrous at all….and other things…or…possibilities…I refuse to entertain.

It’s not just ME…..Imagine the people of Galileo’s time hearing that the SUN was the center of the universe…The Catholic Church outlawed promoting this type of thinking (heresy) and he lived under house arrest for years…until he died.

We humans get stuck in what we KNOW…and refuse to allow the possibility that things are not always as they appear :)

the more I learn..the more I know I don’t know.

Anything is possible.

No comments: