Saturday, March 15, 2008

Recovery Slogans

Maybe it’s just me….maybe others find comfort in slogans..but…when I was suffering…or struggling…the last thing I needed was someone saying to me
‘One Day at a Time’
‘Let go and let God’
‘Easy does it’
‘Keep it simple’
‘Get out of your Head’

Those are just a few…


The thing is..when I am hurting..those slogans piss me off…..when I am NEW to recovery those slogans don’t MEAN anything….and if I don’t understand the MEANING of the slogan…then it sounds like you are brushing me off…minimizing what is happening to me….or that you simply do not understand.

But the longer I am in ‘recovery’…the more I LIVE…and the more I learn….I occasionally have those aha! Moments…when something clicks…and one of those ‘slogans’ will suddenly make ALL of the sense in the world….

Maybe that is part of the frustration….knowing that….there are people in recovery who GET stuff….and they don’t share it with those of us that haven’t gotten it yet?

If they think that saying to me ‘get out of your head’ is going to HELP me any….they must have forgotten what it’s like..to be 'here'….

Maybe slogans have their place….maybe…now that I ‘get’ that particular line….if someone who KNOWS me..and KNOWS that I ‘get’ that…catches me ‘slipping into old ways of thinking’…and were to say that to me…I could smile..and think…you’re right…and actually DO it…but….when it has no greater MEANING than to just ‘get over yourself’…it’s not only useless…it’s insulting.

But…sometimes….sometimes…even if I ‘get’ the meaning….I STILL may not be able to ‘let it go’ or ‘get over myself’….and it’s not just ‘recovery slogans’…

I remember when my Mom died…people saying ‘she’s not suffering any more’ or ‘she’s in a better place’ blah blah blah

I KNEW that. I didn’t WANT her to be in a better place….I wanted her to be WITH ME….HERE….FOR me.

Sometimes….sometimes I just need someone to listen…and not try to ‘fix’ or ‘help’ me…at least…not at that moment…perhaps…at some other time…when the pain is not so raw…when the feelings are not boiling over…..THEN…I will be receptive to new concepts…to new ideas…new ways of looking at things….but….I will need to be introduced to the concept…

Not the slogan.

But that’s just me.

No comments: