Thursday, March 6, 2008

Spirituality and Addiction

So what does ego and spirituality have to do with addiction?

Actually…they have to do with EVERYTHING….

My ego…is anxious and impatient and selfish…it is self-serving and …fearful…it is many things….and all of them are not BAD…maybe NONE of them are BAD really…but….they are far from PEACE…..

Then…there is this other aspect of me…..a part that is always calm..is always at peace….but…
This part of me….was not always available to me…or I didn’t know that it was there at all…so I didn’t know HOW to get to it.

The more I practice AWARENESS…and quieting the mind….the more I am at peace…. And the more I am at peace, the easier it is for me to access it when I need or desire it.

SOOOO

I see people in recovery who are still very much in the ego….and who struggle to remain free from their addiction…living ‘one day at a time’....praying that their ‘higher power’ will help them to stay free for one more day….it looks very painful to me….and often unsuccessful.

The awakening of the spirit….the ability to access the peace that is within each of us….that still, silent place….when I am feeling anxious or fearful….when I am wanting to escape….THIS…is my ‘higher power’….and is not only struggle-free…..but is joyful.

It doesn't really have to do with addiction or recovery....it is about the human experience....LIFE.

No comments: