Monday, December 24, 2007

Pushy People in Recovery

I’ve seen it many times…and I’ve heard many people complain about it…some people in recovery think that if YOU are not doing what THEY are doing…then.. you don’t GET it and you’re not DOING it....hmmmm....I'm sure that I've done this from time to time myself :(

Only now am I able to see that they mean well…I mean…YOU know how hard it is to break free!

So….here is this person who tried and tried unsuccessfully and they finally found a way (in their mind…THE way…because it was the ONLY way that they could)… so…if this person sees another in pain….that desperation that they can soooo relate to….it sort of makes sense that they would want to help….and…the only way they know to stop…to feel better…is the way that THEY did it.

Many people strongly ‘encourage’ others to attend gamblers anonymous meetings….
many of us (including yours truly) thought that we could do it without meetings and failed...
...i am an overachiever...when i came into g.a. i decided that i would be the BEST person to ever have worked the program....people would tell me i couldn't do it my way...i'd show THEM...i was determined. I was going to get an A+ in Recovery!

After awhile, I became involved with my life again…I became busy…I was happy and healthy and didn’t want to gamble….i thought i was fine and I stopped going to meetings….I wasn’t doing ANYTHING ‘recovery’ related….that didn't work for me.

‘working recovery’ doesn’t mean attending meetings….that is called ‘attending meetings’.

To *me* ‘working recovery’ is about powerlessness, control, righting wrongs, forgiveness (of one's self and others), self-discovery, and acceptance (again...of one's self and others) becoming aware….learning about (and learning how to deal with) feelings and emotions…being honest with myself and with others….remaining openminded..with regards to recovery and life in general….thoughts on that continue to evolve….ask me tomorrow and my answer will have grown J

Attending meetings aren’t working recovery (IMHO)…they are a part of my learning experience….a big part…and they may be completely necessary to some people throughout their recoveries…..and THAT is why some people are ‘pushy’ about them……forgive them that J

Know that…even though it may not appear so…they are trying to be helpful.

Do what you must do.

For yourself.

I have learned, though….when I hear about something that is of no use to me in my recovery….to acknowledge that is may not be useful to me TODAY....to remain open minded…….things do change.

I have also seen people who have had bad experiences attempt to discourage others from 'making the same mistake'.

This is YOUR life....if you can just stop, then stop.
If you CAN't just stop...then...be open to everything......don't let anyone tell you what you MUST do or you MUSTN'T do....check things out for yourself.

This is too important.
This is your life.

********************************************************************************

Would I be proud to tell someone what I did today?

No comments: